Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Week Four Hump Day

Yesterday was filled with the usual madness from my Boss, perhaps a bit intensified because she missed having her whipping-girl/ lap-dog around for two whole days! I did everything from crawling around on my knees (in a freakin' skirt) picking up papers she had thrown to editing and revising a proposal for a new client. Ahhhh the life of an assistant in a medium sized, failing company, ain't it grand? After work, the EWI group met in Queens for authentic Thai food.

Sripraphai was not as close as I thought it would be, so I ended-up 20 minutes late walking through some very unfamiliar territory! As I approached the restaurant, I knew it must be good. There was actually a crowd out front waiting to get inside. Everyone else had arrived and begun order deliberations. I am quite unfamiliar with Thai, so I left it up to them to pick-out a feast for us. The service was just perfect, and probably by accident! The dishes came out one-by-one, allowing us to sample tapas style. I took pictures and passed the dishes. We had a great time overall, and time flew by us as usual. The food was just not my taste. It wasn't bad, but it just did not excite me. I thought I felt this way because I had not had "real" Thai, but now I know it is just not my flavor profile.

The beef curry was quite good, but the most amazing thing I ate all night was a tiny bite of squid in the fried watercress salad. That squid had the perfect texture, easily pulling apart with a fork, and the brightness of the flavor shocked me. It had a light, crisp, sweet flavor that was bigger than the bite itself, it felt exactly like a summer meal should. It was sunshine and running through the sprinklers. This may sound over-the-top, but in a meal filled with bold, spicy, heavy dishes, it was a breath of fresh air. The worst dish of the night was a fish dish I mistook for eggplant. I only realized my error when I scooped it onto my plate and a bone popped out. It did not taste much better than it looked, but I suppose I have never been much of a catfish person. All that aside, it was a truly satisfying meal.

I find that it is not merely food that makes a meal fulfilling, more often it is the quality of the company you enjoy it with. Food can be a solitary comfort, but as with wine, it is better with friends. The dinner I prepared last weekend was good, but not perfect. The meal itself merely melted into the experience and the laughter and that is what is remembered, that is what keeps you full. Last night was like that. I enjoyed the adventure of it all, and it is a pleasure to share experiences with people who are as passionate about them as you are.

Our little group is growing strong, everyone is dedicated and excited to build something together. I need to get ahead of it all before it runs me down! We have a new member event in two weeks, and nothing scheduled before due to the holiday. This weekend I need to hunker down and try to build a website.

This is the first time I have had a need for new technology, as I am quite resistant to it! That will be my push this week, perhaps no dinner party, but I will research and try to build a website to house my baby! If the leader has no vision, the movement will surely die. With that in mind, I need to make sure I stay focused and keep us moving. I may go see Erin in Brooklyn, and I am going to try to follow-up with Cherida to set-up a meeting with her sister who lives here. I have a special game-plan for my new recipe of the week, but that will have to wait, I am being summoned to make milky oatmeal for Boss-lady, thank God it's Wednesday, tomorrow is mini-Friday, Friday she leaves early.....

No comments:

Post a Comment