Sunday, October 11, 2009

Fantasy Dream Dates and Pasties

Saturday was my 3 year anniversary with D. Three Years! That is a long time. It began with my requisite sending-off of the aunt, but progressed beautifully from there. We had planned on having lunch, golfing at Chelsea Piers, shopping in Brooklyn, seeing a Broadway show, going to dinner and dancing at an 80's party. Quite ambitious, I know!

We started by walking up to Harold's Square to grab some sandwiches from Tom Coliccio's WichCraft. The weather was beautiful and we stopped to window shop on the way. We had grilled Gruyere and onion panini and chicken salad, both fantastic. We talked and laughed. From there we decided to detour up to Times Square to the TKTS booth to try and get tickets to a show. We waited for an hour in line only to find out that our first choices were not available. Burn the floor was available for $86 a piece, but as DeShon slid them his credit card, I asked him if we could just skip it and go to burlesque instead. I was so touched by his generosity, but really did not want him to spend the money on a show I didn't really want to see. I was certain he would be annoyed with me for keeping him in line for an hour for nothing, but he simply kissed my cheek and told me it was fine. The fantasy dream date continues!

We wandered back home, shopping and talking along the way, and decided to go see a movie before dinner. We got dressed, I made a reservation at DBGB, and we headed off to see Couple's Retreat. (He actually wanted to see it too! See why I love this guy?) The movie was good (not great, but really good) and we set-off to try and get an earlier table at DBGB.

The restaurant was packed and it took a sort of guerrilla warfare to get a table at the bar, but after some devious undercutting, I got the table. He picked the first course and I picked the second. We started with Autumn Squash soup and an iceberg, blue cheese salad. They were phenomenal. The soup was a life-changer with the complex flavors, beautiful foam and perfect texture. The salad, which I have never been a fan of, was executed to perfection. The blue cheese was subtly intense and the thin sliced iceberg made a perfect base. Honestly, the dishes together were a symphony. The tangy and sweet, overpowering and subtle, a very nice nod to the occasion.

For second courses I ordered the Frenchie Burger, a burger featuring pork belly, tomato confit and an onion bun, and the DBGB homemade hot dog. They both came with fries and were both good. Not the best hot dog and hamburger I had ever had (which for the price you would hope it would be) but very good none-the-less. The martini's and wine were also pitch perfect.

After dinner we flew uptown to see our burlesque show. We sat in the front row, close enough to see EVERYTHING, and it was delightful. The show was funny and entertaining and my face actually began to hurt from smiling so much! D was called-up on stage to help the magician with his act and practically stole the show! We drank and laughed the entire performance. After the show I stopped the performers to compliment them on the performance. The burlesque dancer hugged me and told me how nice it was to have women in the audience who enjoyed it and didn't judge her body or cellulite. I must say, she had a beautiful body, and hardly a glimpse of cellulite!

Happy and drunk, we stumbled into the night and began walking toward the dance club. My feet were throbbing and we were fading fast, so we mutually agreed to nix the dancing and continue the burlesque show at home. I drunkenly danced for my man and proceeded to put him right to sleep! We made plans to continue the fun with brunch and shopping on Sunday.

Now it is Sunday and I am contently writing about my weekend of adventure, every so often glancing over at my sleeping man. It was a great weekend, one that reminded me of how much fun D and I can have when I make plans and he makes sure we are not enslaved to them, and one that continued to re-confirm my love of the city that has become my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment