Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Catching-up part 2: Pulled Pork and Purpose

After the Wedding I was able to relax and I turned my attention to a passion of mine: Pulled-Pork. I am not a big meat-eater, but my life was changed when I first tasted real pit BBQ. Armed with my mother's smoker and instructions from Alton Brown, I embarked on the ultimate challenge: recreating that amazing flavor and texture. The details of this adventure will be chronicled in The Pork Saga.

I flew home utterly exhausted from the back-to-back trips to TN and CO, unready for the demands I knew waited for me at home. When I stepped off the subway, into my city, onto my block, all the anxiety melted away. I was home and it felt so good! This city is overwhelming in theory, in thought, in idea. But face to face, it is the most peaceful place I have ever been, the safest I have ever felt, the least lonely.

The four day week I came into was brutal! There was a huge proposal to go out, the girl whose job it is to deal with marketing called out sick the entire week prior, it was long hours and thankless work. As far as my goals of the week: I was too exhausted and behind to write, I did work-out like a mad-woman, I had drinks with G., went to Chinatown again and to Brooklyn, made Vietnamese Bun Bowl, created a googlegroup page for the food club, finished my law school applications and began my NYU food studies application. Oh, and the VA offered me a job.

It may sound like a wild week, but really I stayed in the house 90% of the time. I felt sad, like I was retreating back into myself, but I was really busy and looking back, really tired! The east village was beautiful, the shop owners helpful and the Bun bowl very very good! I felt so peaceful and content while exploring for new foods and finding familiar ones in a beautiful Whole Foods north of Chinatown. If it is actually ok for me to be happy, if it is not some sign of laziness that I love my job, then maybe I should go study food and history and spend my life learning about the things I love. Maybe. I plan on having all my applications mailed within a month, I will have taken my Foreign Service Officer's Exam and I suppose I will just have to wait. It will be interesting to see what my actual options are, rather than my theoretical ones! At least I have learned to enjoy the waiting, savor it. In fact, I think the greatest joy lies in the hope and excitement we feel while waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment