Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Culinary Adventures of Katie and Keith

It was a busy week last week; I decided to keep my apartment after working out a killer deal with my landlord (and seeing the bullshit that is on the market right now), I threw a successful EWI event at the Empire State Building for 30 guest and I have begun planning a complete overhaul of my apartment. I have an EWI meeting tonight to discuss the future of the group, but through all that the one thing that remains in the forefront of my mind is my brother, Keith.

This boy (really a 6'2" ex-marine) has always been the baby of the family. Despite his anger and behavioral problems, all I have ever been able to see is this mysterious, sensitive, amazing creature. We have a very close bond, but I don't really know him all that well. Looking through his Facebook pictures, I see an adventurer. Pictures from Japan, Mexico, Iraq, Florida, California.... I want to get to know this man.

He is going through a fucked-up time right now. A diagnosed alcoholic, dropped out of college this semester and on his way to rehab in the (hopefully not too distant) future. When he talks to me about his drinking, I am grateful for his honesty. He is really letting it all out. But today was different. I was angry. I hid it from him, I don't want to push him away, but I really just wanted to kick his ass.

When we are not talking about his drinking we talk about food. Like me, it is a passion for him. He sees places as culinary destinations and he indulges duelly. As I hear his stories and tell him mine, I feel that I am getting to know this mysterious man. I look forward to his Christmas visit to New York, where we can create an adventure of our very own.

I want to hear his stories, tell his stories and create new ones with him. Reverting back to my childhood name, I want to begin a journey into my brother's history, into his experience, the culinary adventures of Katie and Keith. Perhaps through "The Great Equalizer" we can become adult versions of the two children who once played in forts made of cardboard boxes. I don't want to lose him and I want to get to know him now, before the memories fade into the sunset of the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment