Thursday, April 8, 2010

Through the Looking Glass (or the ER)



Today the powers that be aligned in the hallway outside my office, that's right, the unholy trinity of Little Boss, Middle Boss and Big Boss were united. Looking at them together made the irony of the names I have given them all the more clear. Big Boss is an Athena-like, statuesque woman who towers over the other two. Middle boss is a round, grandma-looking woman, shorter than Big Boss, but significantly taller than the tiny Little Boss. Little Boss is a pocket-sized Latina, who is absolutely adorable with the air of a Chihuahua.

They certainly act-out their persona's to a tee as well. BB knows she is the master of the universe, and to her credit, she is a brilliant, ferocious force to be reckoned with. MB is the petulant middle child, bobbling around without enough power to matter, but enough to cause trouble (which she enjoys doing between her triads against whoever has demonstrated themselves to be "an incompetent idiot" on any particular day). LB is happy and bubbly, like the aforementioned dog, pleasantly wagging her proverbial tail and osculating between BB and MB.

I can't really say I find my stature to be comparable to theirs. I feel taller than MB and LB, but definitely a bit shorter than BB. BB is the only one I take seriously, and even she does not strike fear in my heart. Respect yes, fear no. I suppose I feel rather removed from their trifecta of earnestness. This job has felt like a temp position since I started. When they talk about "My future at the VA" I simultaneously shudder and smirk. No ladies, I will remain like Alice in Wonderland, a girl who happened to fall down the rabbit hole and is just passing through!

On the other side of the looking glass there are many strange creatures; The Trinity, Tweedle dee and Tweedle dumb (I don't quit know which is which, Is the rotund cackler dee and the pervy reject dumb? I think they may be interchangeable.), there is the chain-smoking, food dribbling ogar of an IT supervisor(the only outright hostile woman in the place), and a bevy of other freaks, crazies and lost souls. Because their fate is not my own, they are all completely harmless. I am able to walk through the circus with an amused eye.

I appreciate the fact that I have never had a "normal job". The Army was a complete insane asylum. The restaurant was a political hotbed of felon line cooks, temperamental chefs, coke-head fairies, aspiring artists and down-on-your-luck southerners. RRA was run by the single strangest woman I have ever met and was wrot with delicious madness. The VA makes sense. What would I do in a normal office? I wonder if they even exist. Are there places that are professional and drama free? Maybe not.

As long as I can escape from inside these bizarre worlds, sit back and enjoy the show, I think they will continue to serve as anecdotal souvenirs of this life of mine. The key is seeing the story in the chaos rather than living it and truly immersing yourself in the good.

No comments:

Post a Comment